Redwoods National Park, Where Words and Pictures Fall Short

   

     This short post/photo dump may seem like a cop-out, or the machinations of a desperate blogger trying to make up for lost time and poor internet connections, but I assure you, it’s not. There are some places we have been and sights we have seen where not only do I not have the words to describe them, but pictures are almost pointless. I find myself lowering the camera and shaking my head, knowing I could never capture the grandeur in front of me. Redwoods is like that.

    

    I’m not sure what kind of lens you need to capture these magnificent giants of the forest, but whatever it is, I don't have it. Lying on the ground, using panoramic mode, standing in the distance—they all help, and some of the pics here give an idea of the experience, but trust me, it’s just a hint of what it’s like to stand at the feet of these glorious trees.

 

  

     I’ll never forget the drive into our campsite, down the Newton B. Drury Parkway. You should bucket list this scenic drive alone, if nothing else. The trees get big, then bigger, then ridiculous. And these are just trees on the side of the road, with no special name or designation. It’s a close look at a healthy redwood forest, and it’s like nothing I’ve ever experienced. While in the park, we did a series of hikes and walks and drives that brought us to different groves and stands of the really big trees, culminating in the Grove of Titans, which is almost beyond comprehension.

 

    

Every pic can't be solemn.

     We also decided to hit the very touristy Trees of Mystery, which has a classic old-school roadside attraction vibe to it, cheesy with a little bit of charm. Inside was a canopy walk on some rope bridges and a tram ride, which made it worth the admission. Another treat were the Roosevelt Elk, which we only saw once, but they were up close and personal, right on the lawn of our campsite. And the Klamath Overlook is a very dodgy road up to a very stunning viewpoint where whales can be spotted during migration.

  

  

 

  

  

 

    But really, it’s all about the trees, as it should be. If you haven’t yet, come see them before fires and climate change take their toll. I hope you enjoy this indiscriminate photo dump, it was impossible to choose which ones to include.

I read once that this is how Tolkien talked to trees.

"Dad, pretend this is a portal to another world and we're getting sucked in!" Anne is such a weird influence on them.

 
 

Comments